Monday 1 August 2016

Character Design 3D

A new term has started with new teachers, classes and new character designs! I didn't do a blog post last week because I was so tired but I'll try to fit all my thoughts and ideas from last week into this post.

The film I chose for studying in history and refrencing in 3D was Alice in Wonderland, the reasoning behind this is because I enjoy the art style that the disney animators gave to this film and also the characters included - I especially like the mad hatter and wanted to design something around that. Before I started on this though I tried drawing Alice in the style of the film and some characters from it namely the white flower that appeared in the film, I tried drawing her with Alice's frame but wasn't feeling the character too much. I also drew the rabbit from the tea table and a random girl for no reason.

 

After doing this I decided that designing a character around Alice might be a little too boring for my personal tastes so I turned my attention to the mad hatter instead. I loved the small body shape that he has and also the theme surrounding the character. I merged some characteristics with the cheshire cat's smile. From there I moved on to a smaller more innocent looking boy. I attempted to draw something a little more out there with the three eyed potato looking man as well but decided that if I was to design somthing that I'm going to be working with for the next few months I'm probably going to design something that I actually like.


Moving onto the next week where I decided to expand on my characters - I basically just took some new ideas and tried to make something out of it, although I don't think many of them stuck as well. Some ideas that I had were:

- Normal looking boy?
- Puppet boy with huge detachable eye.
- Cloaked figure with wings (too similar to a classmates character so yeah)
- Keyhole man but with arms and legs so he is bipedal. (keyhole man was my character from 2D)
- LG clock man with tophat.
- Heart with face and arms/legs.
- Palm tree pokemon?

I took the idea of my mad hatter character and expanded his design to be more cutesy. I also toyed with the different eye styles of scribbles and cute circles, I was also thinking of adding some eye shine but seeing as my movie inspiration doesn't have any I just didn't add any. I was also thinking of giving him a bunny tail and when people asks him where his ears are they are secretly his bow. 
During peer review a classmate suggested giving him a bunny nose and whiskers so I tried that. It looks cute but I don't know about adding that to the final design - I'll need to ask more people for advice but I don't think I'll add them. I also tried concepting different tails but the bunny tail is something that I'll probably stick with. I drew an anime older version of him too but that isn't too relevent aha.


A classmate suggested to draw different angles and facial expressions for him however the class was nearly ending and I didn't have time to do much more. I think that I'll draw an expression sheet for him to further get a better feel for my character but I am happy with the direction that I'm going with his design as it is. Overall, I feel as though my character has moved very far away from the style of Alice in Wonderland, but because his initial concept was inspired from the movie I feel as though I'm moving forward in the design and not being constrained to stay in one place in terms of designing a character. I'm actively working on simplifying my character to make it easier to translate into 3D, compared to my first character design I think I succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment