Wednesday 18 May 2016

Background Sketch


This is what I ended up with when I refined my sketch. I had used references based on some illustrations of forests and trees in the background of the picture so that it does not feel too crowded. I got rid of some of foreground trees that seem to take up a lot of space. With this new background I like the freedom of it. The left side of the picture is more heavily saturated with trees whereas there is a clear space to the right, but it balances out due to the large tree in the foreground.

For the colour scheme I wanted to keep the green and yellows of my previous sketch, but also added in the darker colours and orange from my other concepts to make it feel more like a complete background. The colours I used in the other concept were quite boring and did not feel like it was a specific time of day, where this picture makes it clear that it is near sunset due to the orange/pink sky and the bright yellow of the trees in the background. I wanted to make the colour scheme kind of an autumn one, but not too orange, I want to contrast the colours with the green leaves in the foreground.

I am thinking of adding a little bit of purple to the bushes and tree leaves in the foreground as to make it a bit more interesting to look at, as well as allowing the eyes to adjust better to the bright nature of the colours. I am also planning to make the snake a purple colour (subject to change) so I thought that this might unify the character and the background better.

The original canvas size I used is not correct. I mistakenly used A4 size instead of 1080/1920 and I realised my mistake once I imported the background into Adobe Animate. I have since corrected the size here:




No comments:

Post a Comment