Thursday 23 June 2016

Coloured Scarlet and After Effects


When i first started colouring in Scarlet, I just colour picked from the official character pack. I realize that when I actually insert it into the animation and background it will look completely would of place however I worked around this by adding lots of overlay and multiply layers to give the illusion that Scarlet was part of the background and not just sloppily pasted onto it.



Here is what the final result looked like, I used colours such as red, yellow and orange as those are the colours I used for my background as well. Thus she blends in well and looks like she was there the whole time. I also added shading via multiply layer over all her frames, because she does not move much so it was very easy for me to do. Another thing I tried doing was a light yellow outline around her so she matches the style of the animation as well. I realized after doing one frame that I could just do an outer glow on After Effects so I stopped and figured out how to do that on there. That said I have started compiling everything onto After Effects and did the 3D layers on the background, did the camera movements and put in Scarlet.

I still need to colour Riverford, draw his wings and flying animation. I believe that in the next few days I can achieve this. Because the files are not able to become GIFS I just screenshotted one frame on my After Effects file.


I honestly had so much trouble with the camera movement, it just was not moving where I wanted it to. After watching many tutorials I ended up deleting the Null Object and starting over - to my surprise it worked and after many hours I finally ended up with a slow pan as Scarlet is throwing the paper into a faster zoom out as Riverford jumps up to eat it (shown above).

No comments:

Post a Comment